Generally, when you minimize a window the memory usage goes way down because that application isn’t active. Unfortunately, Firefox by default doesn’t adhere to this behavior. Here’s how to force it to.
Type the following into your address bar in Firefox:
You will see a window that looks similar to this:
- Right click anywhere in the window
- From the Menu choose Boolean
- Enter in the following text in “Enter the preference name” window as below
- Once you enter the above tweak press enter
- You may get a pop up to select True or False
- Select True
- Double click on Config.trim_on_minimize to set True or False
You have to restart Firefox browser in order to load effects of the Tweak.
you should notice considerable change in memory trimming when minimizing Firefox browser to system tray.